The other day, Eat, Pray, Love author Elizabeth Gilbert posted a question on Facebook. It came from her yoga instructor over a year ago, but it sunk in and stayed with her:
“What are you willing to give up, in order to have what you really want?”
When I read this, I thought long and hard about how I would answer.
And, coming up with my answer wasn’t easy, because I want it all! I don’t want to give up or miss out on anything. I guess it’s what they call FOMO — fear of missing out.
But, based on five themes in my life, I came up with a list of things I’m willing to give up, in order to have what I really want:
1. Mother: In my nurturing area of life, I realize I need to give up some of my time at the hospital to devote more energy to writing workshops for women.
2. Lover: To bring more pleasure to life, I’ve decided to cut back on my obligations. To say “no” more often to social occasions that don’t thrill me, and make more time for social dancing. See you at In Cahoots on Tuesday night?
3. Warrior: I have to let go of my control tendencies to enjoy the present. Here’s to not borrowing worries about the future and enjoying the journey!
4. Sage: A wise woman once told me I have to let go of relationships that are no longer serving me to make room for new friendships. But like any great truth, the opposite is also true. I love the golden rule of “make new friends, but keep the old,” so I’m thinking on this one….
5. Freedom: I’ve decided to give up drinking more than a couple of glasses of wine when I go out, so I’ll have the energy to do all of the above the next day. I’m not ready to give up wine and chocolate entirely, but the story isn’t over!
How about all of you? Let’s discuss!
Barbara McNally is the founder of the Mother Lover Fighter Sage Foundation, supporting and encouraging women everywhere to 'live free, be free, write your life! Click here to find out more!
Barbara McNally is the founder of the Mother Lover Fighter Sage Foundation, supporting and encouraging women everywhere to 'live free, be free, write your life!’
Click here to find out more!
Also available at your local bookstore!
E-Book available for the Kindle and Kobo, and at Balboa Press.
Get Unbridled with inspirational tips – Subscribe NOW
“I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” Anais Nin